Friday, April 1, 2011

Episode Three: Horrific O'Pinion



The Exorcist was the first movie made Famous by how many people were "Throwing Up" in the theatre. 


We were yet to be desensitized by the "High Gore & Violence" we are now used to, and here was a little girl projecting split pea soup across the screen into a "Priest's Face"!!  BY GAWD!! 

While "Father Marrin" was wiping barf from his glasses, movie goers were chucking their popcorn & candy upon each other.

I remember being too scared to see The Exorcist.  It was only 1973 the first time it came out (William Friedkin had just made The French Connection in 1971).   I vividly remember the Theatre Marquee and thinking "I'm too young for this movie". 

The Exorcist was "Mind Blowing" once I allowed myself to see it.  I love the slower pace that keeps you at the edge of your seat.  "Kids these Days" don't think of it as a very scary film.  This movie is from a generation of film making that delivers you a fine work of art.  Such as reading a book, a fine film builds until you are SO deeply involved, when the "Puke" hits the Fan...You are THERE with Father Marrin and "Freaking the Fuck OUT"!!

I remember visiting Washington D.C. during High School and my FAVORITE part of the Tour was the "Staircase" from The Exorcist.

I got to see The Exorcist when they re-released in the summer of 1976...

By then I was practically over the Freaky Hippie Kid Nightmares with Big Furry "Maurice Sendak" style Monsters coming from my closet and chasing me down my stairs in the Sunset District of San Francisco. 

I still pee myself when thinking of Sid & Marty Croft's "Sleestaks" or "Sigmond the Sea Monster"!

No comments:

Post a Comment