Saturday, April 23, 2011

Episode Five: Jaws vs. The Deep

If we review the material...

We find that one of these movies started a Revolution and the other tried to follow.
Jaws was a Blockbuster and set Steven Spielberg up for making Close Encounters in 1977 even though Spielberg "Hated" the Mechanical Monster and Thought that the movie was going to sink.















Jaws (1975) vs. The Deep (1977)


The Deep was better left as a Novel but is fun to make sport of.



We will find that they are both Educational in a "National Geographic" sort of way.




One, Intriguingly Frightening...



...and the other, Frighteningly Intriguing!








I Must Say...that the "Head Popping" Experience goes to: JAWS!


Jaws kept me and everyone I knew out of the water for a Long Time!



To this day, the Most Horrific Films are the ones where "This Could Happen To YOU"!


Although I am "all grown up" now and Love & Collect Modern Horror Films (as well as the classics), I still can't stomach movies like "Saw". That reality based "Psychotic Dude" themed movie is Way Too Creepy for me.


My girlfriend got a Good Laugh on My Behalf recently, when I was Not willing to see "127 Hours" for Fear of watching the guy cut "his own" arm OFF!


Back in the day Large Monsters were from Japan or New Zealand, and Most Monsters were Fancy Dressed Dead European Guys.

With JAWS we Americans had our Very Own Monster!


This Movie was a little TOO CLOSE to Home!


I grew up a few blocks from Ocean Beach in SF where the water is Very Cold & the surfing is World Renowned. San Francisco Bay and the Farallon Islands are home to more Great White Sharks than ANYWHERE in the Mid West.


I had a Surfer friend who once told me how he was "paddling out" one day and saw a cute little seal swimming near him...


AND THEN...a Sharks "Mouth" came up and "Ate" the little Seal.

Now..."That" is Frightening!!


Jaws was playing at the Coliseum Theatre on Clement Street by my Grandparents place in the Richmond.


My Grandparents actually took me to this movie one Friday Night in 1975 (I know my Grandpa Missed the Rockford Files that night). I don't remember them taking me to many movies back then, in fact I don't think of them as people who went to the movies...but they must have Loved Me because this was a "Horrific" film AND had Nudity (brief albeit).



I don't recall what their reaction or critique was. I did not really care...as long as I didn't have to take a bath...EVER!


...but I DID need the T-Shirt "Stat"!


I loved the T-Shirt "decal" Shop on Clement Street where my Mom got me my "Jaws" shirt. I found out that AC/DC was more than a Rock Band when we got my cousin an "AC/DC" shirt there.
My old Uncle Marty almost "Peed Himself" with Laughter when seeing my cousin receiving an "I go Both Ways" T-Shirt for Christmas.


So obviously The Deep is a "Thriller" filmed in Paradise and Not anywhere close to the movie that made "Everyone" go to the movies.


The Deep is...


Packed with:


SEX (not really)
Drugs (not really)













Action (sort of)











...and Violence (sort of)




...Yet runs a little slow.





"she won't tell anyone"















Robert Shaw plays the same type character in BOTH movies. I guess "they" were looking for a Sexy & Romantic "Jaws".

Well Folks,
"Here's to Swimmin' with Bow-Legged Women".

1 comment:

  1. These are my own images (mostly) taken while in pause mode. It was more fun than "Google Image" and I was able to grab my favorite stuff.

    ReplyDelete